Sepulveda Stables - Our Memories


Click on images to open articles as a PDFs

Joan Edwards, 2/21/1957

Equestrianettes, 5/8/58

Suspected Horse Thieves, 4/9/65
Posted 7/25/15

Moving into the stables summer '62 and feeling excited to be surrounded by horses and horse people.

Socializing with others at the front entrance sitting under the tree.

Striking up my first friendship with Gail Goldman because Art gave me a locker next to hers.

Riding out on the trail to the Sepulveda Dam Basin which we all called "the river" with different groups of friends having a fun time galloping on the bridal path and going in the river.

Riding bareback and barefoot as much as possible.

When Art would lead out an excited stallion and he yelled out "Heads up, coming through with a wild one" through the aisles.

When board was $35 a month. Then up to $40 a month and my parents were not happy about that.

Running across Sepulveda Blvd. to Alexanders Market with different friends for a soda and a hot dog.

Riding with different groups of friends in the riding ring having fun and jumping the barrel and tire jump.

Quickly growing out of my first horse CB who I came to the stable with. Art showed me Topsy, I tried her out and instantly liked and got along with her. My parents bought her for me and they sold CB to a school friend of mine who moved him.

Showing Topsy at the ETI shows at the stable and loving competing and winning ribbons.

Going to the bowling alley up Sepulveda Blvd. with others in the hot summer driven by an older teen that could drive and having a soda to cool off.

The intimidating and husky voice of Kathy Davis and the black hair with beehive of Michele Pickett.

Riding Topsy with Randi Skinner and Gadunzia summer '64 to my house in Encino and spending the night. We tied the horses to a fence in the backyard with the help of my dad. My parents brought over hay and water buckets from the stables. Luckily everything worked out and the horses were fine in the morning. We rode back to the stables later the next morning.

How unhappy I was when my parents bought a house with horse property in Tarzana and had to move from the stables in summer '65.

Gail Goldman secretly arranging a big going away party for me one Saturday afternoon at her house. It worked! I showed up at her house and she took me out to the pool area and there was a big group of pals all wishing me SURPRISE! It was a wonderful surprise, but was sad to see it all end for me.

Sepulveda Stables for me was the best and most valuable experience in my young life for getting a great foundation around horses and paving the way for me becoming a skilled Hunter/Jumper rider/trainer on the AHSA A circuit in the '70's and '80's.

It all started at Sepulveda Stables! I will always hold all the experiences I had with the horses and the people of Sepulveda Stables close to my heart.
Posted 7/15/15

I remember the Coke machine and the freezing cold soda that dispensed out of the machine. I remember shaking it up and instead of foam, ice came out of the bottle. Yummiest thing in the world on a hot, dusty summer day!

I remember the evil white rooster. I remember jumping onto the fence of Prima Donna’s stall to escape when it was chasing me one day.

I remember we loved new deliveries of wood shavings when they were kept next to the hay bales so we could jump off the bales into the shavings. I think maybe Art then moved the shavings around to the back.

I remember making little “pop guns” out of the old metal pen cylinders, a piece of coat hanger and a carrot. Those little poppers would fire pretty far, and I remember racing around trying to catch “the enemy” before they popped me.

I remember riding back toward the stable one late afternoon and getting Blaze into his sweet rocking-chair lope on the long straight stretch toward the RR tracks and for once he didn’t fight (too much) to go faster. I could’ve ridden like that forever. Blaze had the smoothest lope. He also had a really smooth jog that I loved. I don’t think I ever rode another horse with a smoother jog or lope.

I also remember Blaze getting the bit in his teeth and running away. Often. Once he did it on the road alongside the 101 freeway, and he wouldn’t slow down even as we approached the end of that road with its little turn-around. I tried and tried, and finally just sat down good and waited for him to sail over the white metal railing and onto the rocks. At the last possible instant, he swerved and finally slowed and gave up the bit. My heart was pounding like a jack hammer. Neither of us would likely have survived that.

Another scary event I remember very well: Riding Lyndee under the freeway overpass, the train caught us. We were outside the tunnel, but not close enough to the road to make it, so I stopped and watched that train coming, trapped between the tracks and the barb-wire fence not too many feet behind us. The train was carrying something on several open cars that was covered in flapping blue tarps. I sat myself down and told Lyndee it was really nothing to worry about. What a liar I was. I could feel every muscle in her body tense, kind of like mine, but she stood her ground and didn’t uncoil. We stayed there after the train passed and slowly relaxed and then went on about our ride. Lyndee was really a sensible and unflappable horse. Heck, I was 13 when I got her and started training her; she had to be smart and sensible.

I remember swimming in the river. I remember leaping into the deep part from the bank. The shrieks and splashes and laughter! And the blessed water on a hot day.

I remember a time or two going into one of the fallow agricultural fields with a few other friends, tying the reins and letting them go, and kicking our horses into a mad gallop, racing toward one another and veering off at the last minute using our legs and body weight to guide the horses, arms in the air, shrieking like banshees.

I remember Lyndee loved to jump the big chest-high tumbleweeds out back and down toward the drive-in. I thought they made great jumps since, if you clipped them, they wouldn’t fall down or cause harm.

I remember learning how to French braid manes and tails.

I remember trying to learn to do a rump mount on Blaze along with Ann Kersey and her Opie. I finally managed it after many, many crashes into Blaze’s round butt. He could be very patient at times and would ground tie well, if he was in the mood.

I remember lying on top of Lyndee in her stall and telling her secrets.

I remember once Bobbie Gold let me ride Chiquita over the tire jumps. I always loved that horse, but felt intimidated by Bobbie and Kathy Davis - those big girls. I don’t know how I screwed up the courage to ask Bobbie to let me jump Chiquita.

Talking of “those big girls”, I remember my mom did NOT like the stables where “those big girls” used “bad language” and ran around with boys. I DID learn a lot of my “bad language” at the stables.

I remember Michelle Pickett took a few of us to watch an Appaloosa stallion beat off against his belly one time. Us young kids (well, speaking for myself) were delightfully shocked!

I remember one time, a few of us hanging around the stables, bored, but not wanting to hit the trail for some reason. I’m pretty sure it was my idea to try jumping a tiny little jump riding backward. At any rate, I was the first one to try, I landed on my head, and that was the end of that.

I remember walking around barefoot pretty much all summer long, I remember going across to the market with big, wet, sweaty-ringed patches on my jeans, I remember loving opening my tack locker because it held such wonderful things and marked the beginning of another day at the stables.

Most of all, I remember all of those rides, mostly solo, riding familiar trails or exploring somewhere new, and never before or since feeling so united with another living being. Some of the best memories of a lifetime.
Posted 7/13/15

I REMEMBER when the board at the stables was $35 a month.

I REMEMBER when we girls got all goofy when Dr. Dave Simington came to the stables. We all thought he was so cute.

I REMEMBER climbing in the haystack out back which we weren't supposed to do and somebody leaving a coke bottle which I didn't see, stepping on it and landing at the bottom of the stack pretty darn quick.

I REMEMBER that weird made-up language (it wasn't pig Latin but something else) that the cool girls could talk so quickly, girls like Linda Hall and Bobbie Gold I think. They spoke it when they didn't want the rest of us or Art to know what they were talking about.

I REMEMBER when Art kicked a bunch of us kids out of the stables one day. We were sitting up on the seats behind the riding ring and I think it was Georgeann Nichols' father who was riding. He was having trouble getting his horse onto the proper lead and every time the horse picked up the wrong lead that is what we all shouted out, "YOU'RE ON THE WRONG LEAD." I guess he complained to Art and we were all kicked out of the stables for a day.

I REMEMBER Carlos' Diaz laugh.

I REMEMBER the crazy white rooster that used to stalk and attack us. The rooster had a name which I don't remember. He used to "hump" discarded coke bottles. He really became a hazard and one day there were some piles of plumbing, large pipes, out in the back and the rooster met his end in between some of them… I think at the hands of Art and maybe Carlos Diaz.

I REMEMBER Art sleeping and snoring on the front bench in the main aisle way as you entered the stables with the bottom button of his shirt open and his belly exposed and a chicken pecking him in the belly. He wasn't happy.

I REMEMBER when my second horse Star ran away with me in the ring dumping me hard on the ground to the point I had the air knocked out. I remember being in a panic because I couldn't breathe but Art came running into the ring and comforted me and said it was going to be OK until I could breathe again.

I REMEMBER with my first horse Star I didn't have a clue about the proper way to bridle a horse. I would just hold the bit by the shank and try to jam it in the horse's mouth and then put the rest of the bridle over the ears. Art assigned Sally Ziegler to help me. She wasn't very happy about her role as my mentor…but she showed me how to bridle a horse.

I REMEMBER Art always being on guard for any potential fires (could you blame him when you think about our tinderbox stables) worrying about people and their cigarettes. He could smell out a fire early and when that did happen he would yell "fire" and everyone would go running around to find the fire.

I REMEMBER walking with Dr. Reid down the aisle way to the south of the main barn when a loose horse came out of nowhere and started running down our aisle. He grabbed me on the forearm and pulled me out of the way. I had bruises on my arm for days from his fingers. He was an incredibly strong man.

I REMEMBER Dr. Reid cornering me in my mare Prima Donna's stall and giving me my first French kiss. I was utterly disgusted. He was absolutely tickled to death and proud of himself. He chuckled about it and went on his way. He never tried it again and we never talked about it.

I DON'T REMEMBER ever being at the stables when it was raining. I don't remember the stables itself being muddy but I do remember the ring getting muddy and we couldn't ride in it.

I REMEMBER being really afraid of Kathy Davis. Big personality and a loud, booming voice. Art used to call her by her first and middle name, Kathryn Anne. And I remember her horse Breeze and her foal Tease. I remember Kathy braiding Tease's mane and forelock intertwining the braids with cloth and then she would moisten the cloth strips every few days. She said it would make the mane and tail grow faster.

I REMEMBER feeling sorry for the horses that were in those little tie stalls next to the riding ring.

I REMEMBER being jealous of Chris Gullixson and Wendy Coakley. They had all the fancy chaps and cool tack and always looked so good for our Corral 30 shows, and they always did so well. You couldn't beat either one.

I REMEMBER the burro in the front of the stables. Her name was Sara for the song "Donkey Seranade." Her bray was so loud.

I REMEMBER washing the horses out in the back and then letting the horses roll in the shavings pile. We were not supposed to do that and Art would get pissed.

I REMEMBER before developing friendships that I brought my best friend, Lynne Dee (Tweety) Miller to the stables. We used to run Coco as fast as he would go on the top of the dam. We called it doing "the fly." I also remember riding double with her to the collection of old farm buildings inside the dam basin. Some called it the farmhouse but I don't think it was a residence, more a collection of outbuildings. I remember the dark-brown wood of those old buildings. There was a collection of shade tress as well, and the local DWP (LA Dept. of Water and Power) repairmen would take their breaks there during the summertime. They were so nice to us and I remember getting drinks of really cold water from their large cooler. Just a couple of young kids out on our own completely by ourselves. It was a much more innocent time back then.

I REMEMBER old man Jeff, we called him. He had to be in his 70s or 80s. He walked with a cane. I think he lived in a trailer down by Valley Market Town. He had an old basset hound and Jeff and the dog would walk to the stables. I don't really remember his horse but he kept it kind of in that private area where Donna Reed eventually had Hud and where Alabarzan was also stabled at one point…or at least that was where his sulky cart was kept. I remember he would drive the horse every once in a while out in the back.

I REMEMBER one day that Dr. Reid had been treating some horse for something and the decision had been made to put the horse down at some point…but not that particular day. But we all knew the horse's days were numbered. It was a case that intrigued Dr. Reid. He had the horse out over by that big Chrysler car he used to drive. He kept all of his medications etc in the trunk. He was out in the back at the southwest end of the stables beyond the new-ish double row of stalls Art had built. I was watching from maybe 200 feet away. I saw him give the horse a shot. The horse took about three steps and went down hard. I was aghast to think that Dr. Reid would put that horse down in such a public manner when there were a bunch of kids around. I saw him throw the lead rope in the air in disgust and he turned back to his trunk, rummaged around and got another shot for the horse. He gave the horse another shot, thumped on the horse's side and the horse stumbled back up to his feet. Dr. Reid later told me he was experimenting with a new drug and gave the horse too much. All in a day's work for him…but I was stunned. Obviously I have never forgotten it.

I REMEMBER working for Carolyn Kennedy one summer, probably summer 1965. She got me in so much trouble with my parents. I would go out with her to Devonshire Downs when they had a racetrack there. She would train one of her horses on the track. She inevitably would not get me back to the stables when my parents were supposed to pick me up to go home for the evening and they would have to wait and wait. Carolyn was terrible with time. But I will never forget riding around with her in that little convertible with the top down with her Australian Shepherd Bodie in my lap.

I REMEMBER the hay back then, the alfalfa. It was different than the alfalfa today. It was fine-stemmed, had the little purple flowers and it smelled wonderful. And the horses would all eat it in the same manner on the ground. They would move it around with their noses to get the fine green leaf leaving a curved row of thin alfalfa stem in a half circle in front of them. Fun the things we remember.

I REMEMBER all of the friends I had at the stables. We shared so much and had so much fun. Those years will never be forgotten and I'm so grateful for all the memories.
Posted 2/18/15

I bought Painted Lady, (a pinto mare who was in foal) in July of 1956. I was 12 years old. We were looking for a place to board her, and while driving down Sepulveda Boulevard one day, we saw a man pounding nails, and building corrals. We stopped to see if he was going to take boarded horses, and he said yes, and it would be $35 per month. His name was Art Kenley.

We trailered Lady in on that first weekend. Another horse, owned by Donna Keehn, also moved in the same weekend. Her horse was Chiquita, a bay mare. From then on, there was a steady stream of new boarders, so Art was very busy building more corrals, and then he started building an arena. He must have already had use of the old barns, as Lady had her foal in the barn in January 1957.

The first horse show I recall being in was the "First Annual Saddle Debs Horseshow", held September 15 1957, in the new arena Art Kenley had built. My mare Lady won 1st place in Open Halter, and Nancy Sennett won with Buttons in the Pinto class.
Posted 02/18/15
My Memories at Sepulveda Stables by Diane Burk (Byrnes-Silva)

I remember when:
- My sister, Julie, and I were given Pepsi and boarded her at Sepulveda Stables; riding her from Sherman Oaks to the stables
- The horse shows we had at the stables
- Watching Gail Goldman jump here horses, Red and Friday, at Pickwick Stables
- Running through the tunnel before a train came
- Riding in the manure piles
- When the manure piles started on fire
- My first stall for Pepsi was outside in the first row next to the arena
- Taking Pepsi into the barn to dry her off during the rain, only to put her back outside
- Moving her into one of the rows of covered stalls off of the barn
- Racing the horses down the trail to the tunnel
- Letting the horses swim in the river
- Riding on the golf course and being chased and screamed at by the golfers
- Picking corn to feed to the horses
- The swim parties at Rebecca Tushinsky’s house in Encino; cramming a load of kids into her car; the great food she fixed
- The play horseshow we all put on for ourselves; we made the ribbons
- Taking English lessons from Celeste on Nuri; jumping her horse Zuni at Winner Circle Stable
- Michelle Pickett with her black hair, cigarettes and colorful language
- Becoming friends with Pam Smith (Sargeant) and staying in touch for over 50 years after her family moved to Boston
- Janet Gibbs (King) horse, Prima Donna, and when she foaled and had Taysee; Janet and I remained friends after all of these years
- Candy Ross’s mare, Gypsy, had a rose gray filly
- Joy and Carrie Marems and their mare; staying friends with Joy
- Dolores Bruel and her horse Buck. She let me ride him English at a horseshow there; Dolores and I remained close friends up until her death
- Liz Clark and her red roan mare, Ginger. When you backed her up she would rear. She went over backwards on top of me; the mare later died at Winner Circle
- Faye Honorof riding double on her mare and she bucked both of us off
- Jumping Pepsi over the barrels bareback
- My locker that my Dad built me; I still have it
- Jean Singer and I lived in Stone Canyon and took the bus together to school
- The catering truck that would come to the stable
- Walking across Sepulveda Blvd to go to the market for lunch
- The 2 stallions, Andy and Dandy
- Having Pepsi shod by a man named Andy
- Cathy Ronk and her horse, Patches. We later ran into each other at a stable in Griffith Park
- Jill St. John taking riding lessons from Celeste
- Spending countless hours at the stables both in the summer and on the weekends. There was no other place I wanted to be
- Lana Hale and her buckskin
- Chris Campbell, Michele Brown, Marlene and Sheila Fisher, Steve Levine, Sharon Taylor, Elise Blumenthal
- The log as you came into the Stables where we would sit, talk, listen to music
- Donna Reed and her horse, Hud
- Art Kenly who really ended up being a baby sitter to all of us, especially the younger ones, and keeping us out of trouble
Posted 11/13/14
Art Kenly Remembered by Janet Gibbs King

It was at Otto's Pink Pig on Van Nuys Boulevard, a little north of Riverside Drive, where my dad met Art. Art was tending bar and at the same time he had the stables. So I guess they started talking and my dad must have said he had a daughter who was crazy for horses. Short story, my dad bought my first horse from Art while at Otto's Pink Pig. My mom was not so enthusiastic about the whole idea. So my dad brought her over to the stables to show her my first horse whose name was Brady. Art said the horse was so tame you could climb up onto its back by just holding onto the tail and using the horse's back legs as steps and pulling yourself aboard. Well I guess Art went to demonstrate this maneuver to my mom and dad, and wouldn't you know but the horse reared straight up. My mom said "NO" so I never even got to see my first horse Brady. Immediately Art switched horses and I ended up with Star. I don't remember too much about him. Way too much horse for a 9-year-old. So poor Star didn't last too long before another horse trade was made thanks to Art and I got Coco…probably as old as God and definitely would not have won any beauty prizes but that is the horse I learned to ride on. He was the perfect horse for me. It took a little while but Art definitely had my best interests at heart and found me the right horse. And when it was time to move on from Coco, Art helped me make the switch to Prima Donna.

I'll never forget, Art used to call me "Georgi Gibbs" after a popular singer of the day named Georgia Gibbs who had such hits as "Dance with Me Henry" and "Tweedle Dee." So I was never Janet but always "Georgi Gibbs."

Michele Picket and I went to Art's memorial service in 1986. We sat quietly through the service and I don't even remember talking to anyone. I don't think many of the "old-timers" were there…at least none of "us kids." After all it was 20 years after the stables had closed. Like all of us he had his faults but we never could have had a kinder ruler of the land called Sepulveda Stables.
Posted 11/12/14
My Memories Of Sepulveda Stables, 1963-1965 By Pam Smith

It was November of 1963 when my mom and dad surprised me with a dark bay two year old green-broke stud colt. I was barely thirteen years old. I was so thrilled, and so ignorant of the fact that green riders and green horses do not mix well, especially stallions. After a month of hard knocks, he was gelded, and moved to Sepulveda Stables, where my new adventures were about to begin.
I loved the fact that the stables was over-run with teenagers and horses, but soon learned what it was like to be the newby, getting all sorts of advice (whether I asked for it or not) by anybody who witnessed my horsemanship skills …or should I say, lack of. Determination did pay off, though, and I paid attention, and shortly thereafter, had a suitable riding horse, and was making friends.

I remember riding up and down the manure piles, letting my horses feet sink in and feeling his slow and deliberate movements, while I hoped he wouldn’t trip so I would fall off.

I remember one day riding double, bareback, with Dianne Vermillion, on her big horse, Sandy, and she decided to jump the barrels with both of us on him.

I remember racing my horse a lot, out in the back, and he was really fast.

I remember the smell of the eucalyptus trees, combined with the smell of pine shavings and alfalfa hay. And I remember the smell of pine tar for the horses' hooves, and the smell of oil after the arena would get oiled down to keep dust at bay.

I remember one day sitting with Michele Brown, listening to the radio, and she was singing along with “Mrs. Brown, You’ve got a lovely daughter”, and all the while Sharon Taylor was sitting with us, sharing a bag of M&M’s with her horse, Hammarobi.

I remember seeing Debby Paul hiding in the back of the stables making out with her boyfriend.

I remember one day seeing Art ride Donna’s horse, Hud, and hearing Hud work the cricket in his bit as he slowly loped by, and Art had a huge smile on his face. I think that’s the only time in the two years I was there that I ever saw Art on a horse.

I remember one day seeing Chris Campbell all dressed up like a jockey, and riding English on Carrie’s and Joy’s grey mare. Not sure where the silks came from, but they were a good fit!

I remember being lucky that I went to Van Nuys Jr High, as did a lot of the kids from the stables, and could still see each other during the week.

I remember one day getting really mad about something, and riding my horse all the way home! Art showed up with a horse trailer the next day, and took my horse back to the stables.

I remember entering my very first horseshow at the stables, and then questioning the judge when we didn’t place! Couldn’t he see that I surely had the most wonderful horse in the world, and that he could go so much faster than all those other people going so slow…… ???

I remember one day heading for the trails by myself, and about 50 feet into the tunnel, here came the train! I stayed with my horse as long as I could, but we parted when he panicked, and he ran a few blocks away, with me in pursuit. Took me YEARS to not cringe at the sound of a train whistle after that!

I remember one day with Faye Honorof secretly watching Art bring out his Arabian stallion, Robbie, to breed a mare. We were speechless…except for vowing that we would NEVER in our lives, EVER, EVER have sex!!

I remember when Diane Burk got her first horse, Pepsi, and we became good friends. And I’m so proud to say that we are STILL best friends, for fifty years!

I remember, watching in awe, the kids who showed their horses on a regular basis, and their perfect outfits, and well trained horses, and gorgeous tack, and all the ribbons and trophies. I had a lot of good examples to learn from, and for that I am grateful.

I only spent two years at the stables before my family moved away, but the memories have stayed with me for decades, and I am so thrilled to be able to be a part of bringing folks together again, reliving the memories of our youth, and I hope Art is watching all of this with a big smile on his face.

Happy trails! Pam
Posted 11/10/14
Sepulveda Stables Memories by Steven Levine

I remember wining 1st place in Jr. Western Horsemanship in 1966 aboard Coco.

I remember riding through the manure piles with Gail Goldman and seeing her jumping Red or Friday at the Friday night jumps at Pickwick.

I remember being scared the train would come while going through the tunnel.

I remember going steady with Lianne Richland.

I remember swimming parties at Rebecca Tushinsky’s house.

I remember that Art called me Livingston for some reason.

I remember Art treating me like a son.

I remember Art smoking lots of Pall Malls and Donna Reed smoking lots of Salems.

I remember Dr. Dave Simington vet checking a horse I wanted before I got Coco and the horse failing the test.

I remember Celeste breaking Coco of a bad habit.

I remember the two stuntman with their falling horse, Ronnie Rondell and Jack Coffer.

I remember a few punks letting horses out and at least one ran onto the freeway and was killed. We went to court and saw them one day.

I remember Michele Pickett and her colorful way of speaking.

I remember Marvin, Art's buddy, who shaved horses for the summer.

I remember paying 10 dollars for my horse to be shod by Ronald King, and maybe 15 dollars at a later date.

I remember another blacksmith by the name of Andy Kormandy…

I remember thinking that Dr. Reid was the smartest man in the world.

I remember making friends with Michael Picket, Michele and Vicky’s brother, and learning to smoke cigarettes with him.

I remember sisters Joy and Carey Marems, Marlene and Sheila Fisher, and the sisters that owned Pepsi, Diane and Julie Burk, and also Penni, Susie and Debbie Pagano.

I remember relinquishing the rail whenever Wendy Coakley was in the arena.

I remember Chris Campbell shoving a pie in Carey Marem's face.

I remember being scared of Kathy Davis, but then when I lived at my grandparent's house for a while she gave me a ride to and from the stables.

I remember a bareback bronc riding cowboy that became Cheryl Provisor’s boyfriend, named Dave Rodgers….I actually worked with him years later on a couple of movies, as I was a prop master and Dave a wrangler. We worked together on the rodeo sequence on Pee-wee’s Big Adventure!

I remember Art owned another stables in Brentwood…I can’t remember the name but I went there one time.

In addition to those I already mentioned of course I remember Janet Gibbs, Lise Bluementhal, Michele Brown, Linda Carlson, Lana Hale, Diane Vermillion, Faye Honorof, Linda Hall, Vicky Pickett, Pam Finkle. There were 2 brothers that I can’t think of their names, (maybe Pevneyor ?), Elise Levinson, Pat and Mike Kenly, Sharon Taylor and she had a boyfriend named Bob Porter, I think, and Carolyn Kennedy. And of course Jean Singer, the girl who owned Jessie (she informed me what the word "come" really meant and I am eternally grateful to her for that).

I remember being very careful walking past Cheryl Provisor’s horse “Bonita”. She didn’t seem to like people passing by her stall. I became aware of that when she came at me with her ears pinned back and her mouth open!

I remember wondering why I never saw Donna Reed ride Hud.

I remember a girl who had a paint horse. She was blonde and her dad always came with her. I think his name was Homer or something like that.

I remember being a part of something very special. I would have rather been at the stables than anywhere else in the world. I remember hearing that the stables was going to be closing and turned into a parking lot for busses and being devastated by that news. Winners Circle just didn’t have the same feel and I left there shortly after and moved Coco to a neighbor of Michele Brown’s off of Vanalden in Tarzana…..I don’t remember selling Coco or really giving much thought to where we all scattered off to after that….By that time I had discovered rock and roll and all that went along with it….It was 1969 and I was off and running……Now this reunion floods back all of these memories. It’s truly amazing….Kudos to Janet, Pam and Diane, and the folks so involved in helping trying to get this event to happen….Thank you all….

And most of all, I wonder how I remember this stuff and can’t remember what the hell I had for breakfast, or where I put anything I need for that matter. A while back I walked downstairs talking into my cell phone and having a cup of coffee….I put the cell phone down on the table and continued my phone conversation into the coffee cup! Other than that things are mostly good…See you all next year!
Posted 11/1/14
My Remembrances of the Sepulveda Stables by Nancy Stott Gifford

I remember "The Little Fort on Wheels" that Uncle Artie let us use as our club house. Only members will know the 8th, and most important rule!

I remember reading and signing "slam books" in the tack room.

I remember a pool party (Jan and Sue David's house maybe) and Becky Tucker in the bathroom teaching me how to use a certain feminine product so that I could go swimming tool!

I remember riding double to the river, bareback, so that the second person could slide off the horse's butt, grab onto the tail and get the ride of her life as the rider would run her horse through the deepest part of the river.

I remember the day Magic ran home.

I remember jumping alfalfa bales in the farmer's field and being chased by a man on a tractor!

I remember racing our horses against each other on the top of the dam.

I remember taking a break at the farmhouse with a group of girls, talking about who we would eventually marry and how we would die.

I remember calculating our horse's jumping ability by the number of tires they could clear. Hondo could jump over 7 ...Nancy Flatley's horse could clear 9!

I remember a slumber party at the stables where most of us found a comfy spot in the hay stack to curl up in our sleeping bags.

I remember shaving our horses in the summertime and how their color dramatically changed.

I remember sleeping on my horse's back, backwards in his stall with my feet crossed over his withers and my arms folded on this butt.

I remember the outhouse!

I remember sitting on the fence that went around the big tree in the center of the arena.

I remember riding on the golf course and getting in trouble for it.

I remember "Trick or Treating" on the other side of Sepulveda Blvd. on horseback.

And last, but certainly not least… I remember sitting on the top of the dam at the end of the day on the last day of summer, saying goodbye to the summer with Sally Ziegler as the sun went down.
Posted 5/31/14

I remember going down to the LA River in the summertime. The shallow part was to the south and a deeper part veered off to the north. Oftentimes there would be multiple saddles lined up on the bank, saddles which had been removed so we could go into the deepest part of the river without damaging the leather. It was a unique color green that part of the LA River lined with thick bushes on either side. I remember getting off the horses and Lord knows what that stuff was that we were standing on that would squish up between our toes. Giggles would ensue when a horse passed manure and the manure balls would float down the river. The farther north one went in the river the deeper it got to the point the horses actually were swimming. I remember being in awe of how powerful horses felt when swimming. Lots of times in the summer there would be people fishing for crawdads or kids just swimming or paddling around in inner tubes. It was a great way to cool off. And The River was a never-ending source of trial and tribulation as a new boarder to the stables would try to get a reluctant horse into the river for the first time. Truth be told, many a battle was won and lost on the banks of the LA River.
   Janet Gibbs King


Copyright © JK Performance Horses, All Rights Reserved